Spinach and Strawberry Salad with Candied Walnuts (vegan, GF)
Updated: Aug 29, 2019
- 1 cup halved walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter (or vegan butter)
- pinch of salt
- parchment paper
- organic baby spinach*
- sliced organic strawberries*
- equal parts of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- add honey to taste for a sweeter dressing
Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add walnuts, sugar, butter and salt. Stir frequently until sugar melts. Then stir non-stop until all walnuts are coated. Transfer immediately to a sheet of parchment paper and use utensils to separate the nuts right away so that they don't all stick together. Let dry for 10 min.
In a bowl toss baby spinach and dressing together. Build your salad by making a bed of dressed spinach and topping it with the strawberries and candied walnuts.
* strawberries and spinach are the top two produce items on the Environmental Working Group's 2018 Dirty Dozen shopper's guide. This means that conventional versions are usually loaded with pesticides. Click bellow for more info.